Cycling on the pavement ain't right. But even so, do ask yourself when was the last time that you heard of a cyclist causing serious injury or death to someone? Whereas speeding and irresponsible and drunk etc drivers cause serious injuries or death roughly twice a week, in Norwich, for example.
Cyclists should ride legally. But they should not be demonised when they do not do so -- because often they do not do so because of terrible road design, of feeling / being unsafe from cars, etc.; and because even when they do not do so they still pose very little risk of causing serious injury or death, compared to cars.
Once again: I don't in the least condone anti-social cycling. But whenever I hear someone demonising cyclists, I have the sneaking suspicion that maybe, just maybe, they are thereby making themselves feel better about doing something more dangerous, themselves: namely, driving a car...
Once again: I don't in the least condone anti-social cycling. But whenever I hear someone demonising cyclists, I have the sneaking suspicion that maybe, just maybe, they are thereby making themselves feel better about doing something more dangerous, themselves: namely, driving a car...
Comments
although you're more or less right about the relative threats from cyclists and motorists, it's seriously the wrong time to be asking when people last heard of a cyclist killing a pedestrian.
Tragically, there have been a couple of such cases in the past couple of weeks.
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22762655-2761,00.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7098383.stm
A friend of somebody I worked with was killed by a cyclist on the pavement a few years ago.
Dangerous driving is more of a threat but - let there be no doubt - dangerous cycling can and does kill people.
but the numbers are still scales of magnitude smaller.
I have only ever heard of one serious accident in Norwich caused by a cyclist (who in fact killed another cyclist) -- whereas month after month, and sometimes week after week, such accidents occur on or near my patch in Norwich, caused by cars.
I think your post is a bit muddled.
I cycle and drive and I'm always 'demonising' cyclists on the pavement.
I always cycle on the road - it's safer!!
My two eldest are new cyclists and I am 'teaching' both how to cycle on the road by taking them on quiet residential roads. I sometimes go out with the younger of the two onto main roads but she cycles on the pavement and I cycle on the road. I would never dream of letting the eldest cycle on the pavement - she gets off and pushes her bike.
P.