Skip to main content

#Occupy Norwich to discuss financial reform - with me!

Occupy Norwich are to have a discussion on reform of our monetary
system on Wednesday 9th November at 6.15pm at their camp on The
Haymarket. (All are welcome, and everyone, whether they regard
themselves as Left, Right or neither, will get a chance to have their
voice heard.)

The discussion will be led by me. I'll talk about how the
creation of 97 % of our money by the banks leads to  overments,
individuals and businesses becoming more and more indebted. When the
debts can no longer be repaid the banks demand a bailout from the
taxpayers, and cuts have to be made in pensions, benefits and public
services, as happened when the world economy nearly collapsed three
years ago.
Occupy Norwich are inviting everyone to come along and debate the solutions.
The bailout of the banks three years ago did not result in reform of
the banking system, which is due to collapse again, as the recent
problems in the Euro-zone have clearly demonstrated. We need reform
urgently, before the system crashes again. This reform should start with the genuine nationalisation of the banks which the British taxpayer currently owns, which, quite wrongly, are still paying out massive bonuses, at present.

Comments

skintnick said…
There will be a resumption of curtailed workgroup discussion on "capitalism" starting at 17:15pm this same evening, to which all are welcome.
skintnick said…
(same place: Haymarket, Norwich)
Simeon Jackson said…
I shall be attending this! I'll be there from 5:15. I have also posted to the Occupy Norwich facebook and forums about Positive Money's proposal for a full reserve banking system (which can be found at http://www.positivemoney.org.uk/our-proposals/), and I'd very much like to hear your views, Rupert, on that. I hope that if you have not already read them, you will be able to before Wednesday.
DP said…
I hope to attend and from an anti-capitalist perspective demonstrate that fiat currency and fractional reserve banking is NOT the reason that the 99% is exploited. The reason for this exploitation and the existence of poverty amongst vast wealth is the result of the logic of the market system itself.
Campaigns for banking or other monetary reform are nothing but a distraction from solving the REAL problem.
skintnick said…
Thanks for leading the discussion last night Rupert. I found it very stimulating and was especially pleased at the focus on local currencies.

The comment here by DP is interesting and I'd like to hear his views expounded, maybe on another occasion? We do plan to explore one of the topics he raises (fractional-reserve banking) in a little more detail at a later date and wonder if Rupert or anyone else might suggest an expert (from UEA?) to lead another session down at OccupyNorwich. (you could email transitionnick@gmail.com or twitter @skintnick to contact me directly with suggestions on this)
Rupert said…
Thanks for these comments!
DP: as I said at the event, my case would certainly not be that the nature of [most] money as debt is the only cause of our problems - far from it! Greed, an exploitative system, corporate law etc. are all also causes.
But the nature of money, and the way that we have allowed financial interests to let rip on the basis of it, is A cause. Whether it is 5% of the problem, or 95% of it, it needs addressing.

Popular posts from this blog

Medialens under the lens, over Syria and Libya: Becoming the new Dave Sparts?

I have long been an active supporter of Medialens ( http://www.medialens.org/ ). Like many others, I have supported them with money, time, tips, and I have been proud to have done so. For they have done very important groundbreaking work over the years challenging the inanities and distortions of the 'mainstream' media. They have for example written important critiques of mainstream media coverage of dangerous climate change, of Iraq Body Count, of the corporate nature of most of our media, and much more besides. They have held the corporate media to account time and again. They ought to be saluted for all of that. It is therefore with a sense of deep regret (as well as of some foreboding) that I have finally to write to address the ways in which, lately, some of the wheels seem to be coming off their wagon. An early warning sign perhaps was their long-running spat with George Monbiot, over the Rwandan genocide and the terrible atr...

'Scandal' over hacked climate-science emails at UEA: Don't believe the hype

The 'scandal' of the hacked emails from Environmental Science at UEA ( http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/comm/media/press/2009/nov/homepagenews/CRU-update - this includes a direct rebuttal of the single seemingly most-damaging email, the 'trick' email), my University, has been gotten out of all proportion in some of the right-wing media, old and new. I have now read a good number of the 'worst' of the hacked emails. I also know a few of the protagonists personally, and for human-interest value the hacked emails certainly do offer some tidbits. But: When the dust settles, I predict that the climate-deniers will be left holding onto hardly anything, here. There is so far as I can tell at this (still-admittedly-early) stage no significant scientific scandal, and most importantly absolutely no reason to doubt any of the fundamentals of the science of manmade climate change here, just a few unpleasant or silly or (at worst) unwise and bad-practice emails. Scient...