Friday, 11 March 2011

I'm leaving Norwich City Council, at the May elections

I'm standing down from the Council. After 7 years, I have decided to spend more time on my work at UEA – I have two books to finish. I am also increasingly involved in politics across East Anglia (as Regional Party Co-ordinator) and nationally, and have sometimes felt over-stretched the last few years. I will very much miss working with Wensum residents on local issues...but I am very pleased to endorse Lucy Galvin to take my place. Lucy, our new candidate for Wensum ward, brings significant experience of working for the local councils. I know her and trust her, and I am proud to give her my strongest endorsement, in the upcoming elections.
Here's the story in today's local paper:
I am full of bitter-sweet feelings about this, today. The next Council meeting will be my last. Wow...
I'm proud of what I have achieved and what I have helped contribute to. For instance, without me the 20mph speed limits in 3 large zones of the city would never have happened. When I joined the Council, the Greens went from 3 Councillors to 5 - now we have 14 City Councillors, and 7 County Councillors! It's exciting and it provides some hope for the future for our people, indeed for our civilisation and our species. From humble acorns...
I am currently standing for the Green Party candidacy slot for the House of Lords (see http://rupertsread.blogspot.com/2011/03/green-houseoflords-candidate-selection.html & http://rupertsread.blogspot.com/2011/02/green-party-house-of-lords-candidate.html ). Who knows where I may end up! Politics is full of surprises...
Tonight, I just want to say 'Thank You' to all those who have helped me over my 2 terms as a Norwich Green Party City Councillor. There are so, so many of you. It hasn't always been easy or pleasant, but it has been good, and so worthwhile. Thank you so much, and thank you to all my constituents.
I'm going to miss you, and I'm going to miss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

1. 2. 3. Rupert's Read: I'm leaving Norwich City Council, at the May elections 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 23. 24.

25. 26. I'm leaving Norwich City Council, at the May elections 27. 28.

29.
I'm standing down from the Council. After 7 years, I have decided to spend more time on my work at UEA – I have two books to finish. I am also increasingly involved in politics across East Anglia (as Regional Party Co-ordinator) and nationally, and have sometimes felt over-stretched the last few years. I will very much miss working with Wensum residents on local issues...but I am very pleased to endorse Lucy Galvin to take my place. Lucy, our new candidate for Wensum ward, brings significant experience of working for the local councils. I know her and trust her, and I am proud to give her my strongest endorsement, in the upcoming elections.
Here's the story in today's local paper:
http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/greens_unveil_candidates_for_norwich_city_council_elections_adrian_ramsay_and_rupert_read_not_standing_1_827311
I am full of bitter-sweet feelings about this, today. The next Council meeting will be my last. Wow...
I'm proud of what I have achieved and what I have helped contribute to. For instance, without me the 20mph speed limits in 3 large zones of the city would never have happened. When I joined the Council, the Greens went from 3 Councillors to 5 - now we have 14 City Councillors, and 7 County Councillors! It's exciting and it provides some hope for the future for our people, indeed for our civilisation and our species. From humble acorns...
I am currently standing for the Green Party candidacy slot for the House of Lords (see http://rupertsread.blogspot.com/2011/03/green-houseoflords-candidate-selection.html & http://rupertsread.blogspot.com/2011/02/green-party-house-of-lords-candidate.html ). Who knows where I may end up! Politics is full of surprises...
Tonight, I just want to say 'Thank You' to all those who have helped me over my 2 terms as a Norwich Green Party City Councillor. There are so, so many of you. It hasn't always been easy or pleasant, but it has been good, and so worthwhile. Thank you so much, and thank you to all my constituents.
I'm going to miss you, and I'm going to miss it.
30. 31. 32.