Wednesday, 13 October 2010

The real crisis

Consumer confidence and people's confidence in their own financial futures has fallen to a new low. Bad news for the govt. And rightly so. But: let's not forget that there are bigger issues at stake. Pessimism about one's FINANCIAL future does not equate to pessimism about one's future full-stop. Speaking for myself, I am neither pessimistic nor optimistic about my own financial future; but I am pessimistic about my future, if we don't change the direction of our society soon. By the time I am old, there will be food shortages and possibly even warlordism, unless we manage as a species to rein in dangerous climate change, fast.
 There are much more serious threats out there than low financial consumer confidence. And it is time we got these things into comparative perspective. We badly need to think longer-term than we are used to doing.
 The cuts, economic downturn etc. will in retrospect seem small beer, compared to the vast ecological crisis that we are as a species brewing up for ourselves - unless we go Green fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

1. 2. 3. Rupert's Read: The real crisis 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 23. 24.

25. 26. The real crisis 27. 28.

29.
Consumer confidence and people's confidence in their own financial futures has fallen to a new low. Bad news for the govt. And rightly so. But: let's not forget that there are bigger issues at stake. Pessimism about one's FINANCIAL future does not equate to pessimism about one's future full-stop. Speaking for myself, I am neither pessimistic nor optimistic about my own financial future; but I am pessimistic about my future, if we don't change the direction of our society soon. By the time I am old, there will be food shortages and possibly even warlordism, unless we manage as a species to rein in dangerous climate change, fast.
 There are much more serious threats out there than low financial consumer confidence. And it is time we got these things into comparative perspective. We badly need to think longer-term than we are used to doing.
 The cuts, economic downturn etc. will in retrospect seem small beer, compared to the vast ecological crisis that we are as a species brewing up for ourselves - unless we go Green fast.
30. 31. 32.