Monday, 27 September 2010

Hopes for greenery, with Ed as Labour Leader?

I have some hopes for Ed M., as a plural and vaguely-green-leaning Leader: see my piece about his visit to Norwich when I met him, during the Leadership campaign: http://www.leftfootforward.org/2010/07/a-green-perspective-on-ed-miliband/ . But I also have real reservations. Not least of these is Ed's _record_: serious doubts have been expressed, and justly so in my view, about the role he played in Copenhagen; and he has still not satisfactorily answered most of the questions I have been raising for years now about Britain's record on carbon emissions (which, under Labour, was much worse in reality than the spin of either Miliband enabled the public to understand: see my piece here on this: http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/05/22/the-miliband-commitment-to-climate-change-is-mostly-just-rhetoric/

So I would say: Yes, there is some hope. But the _record_ is not as promising as most people seem to believe. And so Ed has a helluvalot to prove. He will have to do a lot more than say ‘Vote red, get green’, to win this argument…

I will be surprised if he ever - as Opposition Leader or as PM - contributes half as much in this area as Caroline Lucas MP, who is now Leader in spirit of the real Opposition, in my [admittedly biassed] view...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

1. 2. 3. Rupert's Read: Hopes for greenery, with Ed as Labour Leader? 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 23. 24.

25. 26. Hopes for greenery, with Ed as Labour Leader? 27. 28.

29.

I have some hopes for Ed M., as a plural and vaguely-green-leaning Leader: see my piece about his visit to Norwich when I met him, during the Leadership campaign: http://www.leftfootforward.org/2010/07/a-green-perspective-on-ed-miliband/ . But I also have real reservations. Not least of these is Ed's _record_: serious doubts have been expressed, and justly so in my view, about the role he played in Copenhagen; and he has still not satisfactorily answered most of the questions I have been raising for years now about Britain's record on carbon emissions (which, under Labour, was much worse in reality than the spin of either Miliband enabled the public to understand: see my piece here on this: http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/05/22/the-miliband-commitment-to-climate-change-is-mostly-just-rhetoric/

So I would say: Yes, there is some hope. But the _record_ is not as promising as most people seem to believe. And so Ed has a helluvalot to prove. He will have to do a lot more than say ‘Vote red, get green’, to win this argument…

I will be surprised if he ever - as Opposition Leader or as PM - contributes half as much in this area as Caroline Lucas MP, who is now Leader in spirit of the real Opposition, in my [admittedly biassed] view...

30. 31. 32.