Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Inequality is the problem, not 'deprivation'

I recommend Matt Sellwood's latest post, http://anglobuddhistcombine.blogspot.com/2009/09/equality-is-must.html
Also do read Wilkinson's previous book, 'The impact of inequality'.
I am at present writing, using Wilkinson's work to challenge liberal political philosophy, especially John Rawls's disastrous 'difference principle', which provides a 'justification' for inequality.
My main focus this academic year is going to be this work. I am arguing that inequality in itself, not alleged 'deprivation' considered in absolute terms, is the fundamental social problem of modern society.

2 Comments:

Blogger sunflowers said...

I do agree largely, Rupert, but I take it you are talking about "modern society" in Britain, right, since there are several "modern societies"? I'm not just trying to be pedantic, and I agree that relative poverty is vastly under-emphasised, but I'm urging qualification (and for not going to the opposite extreme): there is surely also some significance in absolute poverty/ "deprivation" at some level, e.g. if you have no access to clean water, which many people still do not.

(The further question then is; at what point do absolute levels of wealth become insignificant in terms of contribution to our well-being? And btw I'm not suggesting that relative poverty/inequality does not also play a role at the same time)

10 September 2009 at 17:28  
Blogger Rupert said...

Yes indeed, Ruth; absolutely. I am talking here primarily (though by NO means exclusively) about 'developed' societies.
Wilkinson's books have lots of detailed info on the questions you are asking here, btw.

11 September 2009 at 13:20  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

1. 2. 3. Rupert's Read: Inequality is the problem, not 'deprivation' 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 23. 24.

25. 26. Inequality is the problem, not 'deprivation' 27. 28.

29.
I recommend Matt Sellwood's latest post, http://anglobuddhistcombine.blogspot.com/2009/09/equality-is-must.html
Also do read Wilkinson's previous book, 'The impact of inequality'.
I am at present writing, using Wilkinson's work to challenge liberal political philosophy, especially John Rawls's disastrous 'difference principle', which provides a 'justification' for inequality.
My main focus this academic year is going to be this work. I am arguing that inequality in itself, not alleged 'deprivation' considered in absolute terms, is the fundamental social problem of modern society.
30. 31. 32.