Monday, 11 August 2008

Green Party leadership election ballot hit my doormat!

I have in front of me my Green Party leadership election ballot paper. Exciting! A historic moment. There has never been such a piece of paper before, in this country...
I have already made pretty clear that I'll be voting for Caroline and Adrian for Leader and Deputy (and there'll be more on this and on them over coming days and weeks on this blog, as we run up to Party Conference).
 
But what about the other posts that we are voting on by postal ballot in the Green Party internal elections this August? In this connection, I noticed this excellently-useful post on Jim Jepps's 'Daily Maybe' blog:
 
 
Maya vs. Shahrar: a tough call! They are both strong candidates for this new post on the National Executive, and both friends of mine.
I think that I am persuaded on balance though that the nod should go to Maya. It is really her strong record as a Councillor, actually already doing stuff and having external posts/responsibilities/contacts in this area, that I think gives her the edge. But Shahrar, with whom I had the pleasure of having 'the philosophers' debate' about teh leadership issue last year, in Red Pepper, will certainly get my second preference.
 
Anyway, if you are a Party member, the critical thing is: do VOTE in these historic elections. As Shahrar himself rightly said, when the results of the count came in last year for the leadership referendum: that's democracy. You can't beat it! But you can join it...
 
(If you are NOT a Party member, then, before it's too late, why not go to the link on the left hadn side of this blog, and join online, today! ...   :-)
 

 

4 Comments:

Blogger Jim Jay said...

Two very good candidates for the equality post. Excellent in fact.

I can exclusively reveal that I have voted for Adrian Ramsay for Deputy, after long and careful thought I thought RON just didn't cut the mustard :)

11 August 2008 at 17:36  
Blogger bigblue said...

RON is a very strong candidate, up for many posts.

I might just vote for her in all to give her a chance of winning at least one :-).

11 August 2008 at 17:47  
Blogger Green Gordon said...

I hope the equality officer will consider changing the election rules so that half the GPEx positions are cotested by RON and half by the RONettes (diminutive as that sounds),

11 August 2008 at 19:33  
Blogger Lynda said...

I am glad I picked the "right" people today! My ballot papers came today and I did them this afternoon and managed to post them in time for the last collection today.

The Leader and Deputy Elections were easy - Caroline and Adrian came to mind without any bother. I had to read through the booklet to vote on the others but I hope I managed to vote the right way for the others - I voted on their write-ups. (I appear to agree with Rupert on one person he has mentioned!)

11 August 2008 at 22:42  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

1. 2. 3. Rupert's Read: Green Party leadership election ballot hit my doormat! 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 23. 24.

25. 26. Green Party leadership election ballot hit my doormat! 27. 28.

29.
I have in front of me my Green Party leadership election ballot paper. Exciting! A historic moment. There has never been such a piece of paper before, in this country...
I have already made pretty clear that I'll be voting for Caroline and Adrian for Leader and Deputy (and there'll be more on this and on them over coming days and weeks on this blog, as we run up to Party Conference).
 
But what about the other posts that we are voting on by postal ballot in the Green Party internal elections this August? In this connection, I noticed this excellently-useful post on Jim Jepps's 'Daily Maybe' blog:
 
http://jimjay.blogspot.com/2008/08/equality-and-diversity-co-ordinator.html
 
Maya vs. Shahrar: a tough call! They are both strong candidates for this new post on the National Executive, and both friends of mine.
I think that I am persuaded on balance though that the nod should go to Maya. It is really her strong record as a Councillor, actually already doing stuff and having external posts/responsibilities/contacts in this area, that I think gives her the edge. But Shahrar, with whom I had the pleasure of having 'the philosophers' debate' about teh leadership issue last year, in Red Pepper, will certainly get my second preference.
 
Anyway, if you are a Party member, the critical thing is: do VOTE in these historic elections. As Shahrar himself rightly said, when the results of the count came in last year for the leadership referendum: that's democracy. You can't beat it! But you can join it...
 
(If you are NOT a Party member, then, before it's too late, why not go to the link on the left hadn side of this blog, and join online, today! ...   :-)
 

 
30. 31. 32.